This ranks right up there as one of my favorite restaurant recipe knock-offs. What I like best about it now that I’m on a lower fat diet is the ingredient versatility. You can substitute Egg Beaters, fat free cream cheese and ricotta cheese, as well as butter substitutes to make it more health conscious. It’s a winner either way.
Spinach Cheese Pie
1 – 16oz pkg. phyllo dough, thawed
1 /2 cup butter, melted
8oz cream cheese, softened
24oz ricotta cheese
4 eggs, beaten
1 – 10oz pkg. frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
1 medium onion, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Butter or spray bottom of 9x13x2 baking dish with cooking spray.
- In medium bowl, combine cream cheese, ricotta cheese, onion, spinach and eggs.
- Layer 1/3 of phyllo dough flat in the bottom of the baking dish and drizzle with 1/3 of melted butter.
- Using pastry brush, spread butter to cover all phyllo dough in the bottom of the pan.
- Spread mixture evenly on top of the phyllo dough.
- Cover mixture with half of remaining roll of phyllo dough and drizzle with 1/2 of remaining butter.
- Spread the butter to cover the dough using a pastry brush again.
- Repeat the previous two steps with remaining phyllo dough.
- Score top layer of dough into diamonds by cutting diagonally.
- Bake 1 hour until golden.
- Cut through scored lines to serve.