This recipe is loosely based on one my sister-in-law makes! It is so good that it makes me want to slice the bread even thinner so I can eat a gazillion of these without getting full. The olive oil makes you feel like you’re eating something indulgent, but it’s a wonderfully fresh and healthy treat. It’ll also make great use of that abundant summer garden harvest.
- 3 tomatoes, chopped - seed if you like
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 6-8 large basil leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground sea salt
- 1/2 cup low fat mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup spicy brown mustard
- 4 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 1 & 1/2 tablespoon chopped green onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1 loaf french bread (bake using your own recipe or use Pillsbury French Bread)
- In a medium sized bowl, combine tomatoes, celery, basil, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, garlic, mustard and salt. Refrigerate.
- Slice bread into 1/2 inch slices and grill on low for 2-3 minutes.
- Turn and slather with spread. Grill an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Cover with refrigerated tomato mixture and serve.
- Makes 6ish depending on how much topping you use.